Friday, March 16, 2007

Jason is thirteen

Jason turned thirteen on the eleventh of this month. I am now the mother of two teenage boys, and I have a lump on my head to prove it. Last night Jason tossed a deck of cards at me. I was laying on the couch, not paying attention and it hit me on the forehead. Later that night when I was brushing my teeth I noticed it had left a knot. I went in and showed Jason and the poor kid felt horrible. He came into my room before I went to sleep and apologized again.
The first thing most people notice about Jason is how flat out handsome he is. Girls his age are always telling me he is hot. One day at a party a friend of ours, who is twenty-two and very attractive, had drank a bit too much. She leaned down and whispered something in his ear and he replied "no thanks, I have a girl friend." She laughed and announced to all of us that she had been turned down by a twelve year old.
To me though the most notable thing about him is how kind he is. He hates the idea of hurting any one's feelings, and really cares about people. Where I am cold he is warm. Last night as I was climbing into bed with no thought of anybody else, only of reading my book, I heard him call Dh and ask how Grandpa was doing. I won't go on about my child much more, because I know I approach the Kathy Lee Gifford level of gushing parents, but I really am proud of this handsome, kind, smart boy I am lucky enough to call son.

No comments: