Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Chicken pies and bingo

That title just doesn't have the same ring to it as pork chops and applesauce.
My house is filled with the smell of boiling chicken. This is a good thing if you like the smell of chicken, I do. It would be better if there was also the smell of baking bread, but there isn't. I returned a jacket to my niece, Mon, one day and she burrowed her face in it and said, "This smells like your house." "
Is that good or bad" I asked.
"Good, it smells like cooking food." I was relieved because sometimes I think my house may smell like all of the shoes we discard at the door.
The other day my mom told me that Princess had told her I make the best chicken pie in the world. So that is what I am making her for supper today. Last night we had stuffed peppers and I don't think she appreciated them at all. She stuck with the baked potatoes, which she eats just like I do, covered in olive oil and balsamic vinegar instead of butter. I am going to miss those girls when they move back in with their mother. I have already started to worry about the three of them living in the city alone. It is hard enough to be a single mom, but in a city where they don't really know anybody it is going to be tough. Really I shouldn't be worrying about that yet, that is a worry for the future.
We are planning a bingo night as a fundraiser for Lee's trip. What I don't know about bingo could fill an book. My neighbor offered to donate burritos and tamales to sell at the concessions that night. So now I just have figure out the rest of the menu, and prizes, and what a card should cost. Really, the next time I'm working so hard to raise money I better be getting a trip too.

No comments: