Thursday, March 30, 2006

Court date

I went to testify in court today about a fight that took place in the skating rink months ago. The irritating part is that no fight ever happened. Two boys pushed towards each other to start one, but it never went any farther than that. Of course one of the parents decided to press assault charges. I gave up a perfectly good morning to drive to the next town. I was afraid it was going to take all day, but charges were dropped and I was back within two hours. I didn't go straight home because I needed to discuss the state of humanity with my sister. Which is one of the great advantages of having sisters.
I've witnessed some very objectional, in my opinion, parenting styles in the last few days. I'm not talking about small differences like bedtimes, or nutrition choices. These are much bigger ones like condoning stealing from friends and relatives, or not knowing or caring where your five year old is after dark. These type of things make me sad.
Now I'm not one of those people who think the world is getting worse. I honestly think we as a society are getting better and those who think otherwise are romanticizing the past. Our weapons are worse, which amplifies our violent nature, but honestly we at least recognize the fact that violence against a wife and kids is a crime, not an unfortunate event, or a man's right.
I just think we could do better. Most parents do their best to instill a moral code in their children, but what can we do for the children who are falling through the cracks? I'm sure I'm not the only person who has seen a child come from an unbelievable childhood and grow into perfectly charming adults. What is the key, where did they learn morals if they weren't taught at home? Books? Movies?

1 comment:

shpprgrl said...

i agree with you. there are some people that have absolutely no parenting skills! i always worry about those kids. then there is the flip side, the kids that have wonderful parents and they end up out of control. that part makes me so paranoid...you just never know. i just saw your reply to my last post. i found your blog that night when it scrolled across the blogger update on the main page...i just happened to click on it. i like your blog!