Monday, February 27, 2006

Car pooling

I woke up this morning trying to decide if I should drive the two hours to watch my boys compete in a scholars bowl meet. I know a good parent wouldn't even question it they would just go, but I really didn't feel like a two hour drive. After going back to sleep and waking up at 10 I was thinking clearer. Why not ask somebody to car pool? I ran through the list of parents I usually see at these things and picked out a couple I wouldn't mind riding with.
The lady I ended up riding with was actually one of the grandmothers who go to most meets. She is a nice lady and we had a good car ride. When I first approached her with this idea we thought her husband would be going too. I was picturing myself relaxing in the back seat reading. Then her husband ended up staying home. Don't get me wrong the conversation was great and we stopped to eat at Cattleman's. I had a marinated chicken salad and a slice of apple pie with cinnamon ice cream. I just missed that extra reading time. Also a car ride is the perfect time to just let your mind wander. When I start doing that with somebody else I worry that they think I'm bored and feel the need to entertain me. How do you know if the other person agrees with this being a companionable silence?
By the way we took two teams and they took first and second place.

No comments: