Monday, January 08, 2007

The English Patient ruined my day

Last week we temporarily renamed HuggyBear to Emmers the Grouch. She was cutting four teeth and had a head cold. On Thursday one of her eyes started running and was swollen. By Sunday I had pink eye also. My eyes never did get as bad as hers since I was watching for the signs and caught it quickly. Since it was a weekend I was just borrowing her eye drops until I could get a prescription today. This morning before I called my doctor I looked up home remedies. The most gentle looking one was chamomile tea bags. Since I don't have any straight chamomile tea I used the one remedy I did have on hand, salt water. It has worked better than the eye drops so far, but it did sting a little. Salt is amazing really. You can use a salt crystal as deodorant. When I first got my bellybutton pierced I used salt to clean it. I rinse with it for sores in my mouth. Not to mention cooking. Could that be why we have oceans full of the stuff.

I stayed up too late last night because The English Patient was on t.v.. I knew better than to start it at 12:30 a.m. but I did anyway. If Curly Top takes a nap today I may join her. I was going to go back to bed this morning after I dropped the kids off at school, but the universe seemed to be against me. The heater is not working at the junior/high school today so Jason called me and asked me to bring blankets and coats. Then dh's aunt called because she had not been able to reach her sister, Dh's mom, and was worried about her. After calling around for her I gave up on the idea and did some laundry. Now I am not getting anything done around here. By nature I am a night person. I can stay up all night and sleep until ten and be perfectly happy. Over the years I have noticed that I do get more done though if I get up by eight in the morning. So that is what I have been trying to do. Not today though, today I'm being very lazy.

One thing I have always been insistent on was that I would not have a television in my room. I hate falling to sleep with one on. I like it dark and quiet while I'm sleeping. Dh on the other hand likes background noise. I have often thought it would be nice if kids could watch movies or play games in another room whenever there was football, or races on, but it wasn't worth the trade off of having somebody flipping through channels while I'm trying to sleep. Yesterday Dh bought a used set that was high definition and larger than the one we have. I couldn't complain too much since he got it for a really good price instead of running out and buying a new one. Where were we going to put the old one though. One thing I always kept in mind about televisions and teenagers was that if they had one in their room they may never come out and spend time with me. Lucky for me I didn't have to voice my opinion on this one. None of the boys wanted the old set in their room either. So it ended up in mine. There will definitely be no cable hooked up to it though; Just movies or games, when I am awake. I hope I can stay firm on this one.

No comments: